So this Congressional Teabagger, Joe Walsh, is running against wounded Iraqi veteran Tammy Duckworth,
Duckworth ran for the US House in 2006 and lost. Two weeks later she was appointed Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs.In 2009, she became the Assistant Secretary of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs for the United States Department of Veterans Affair. She resigned when she began running against Walsh for Congress.
Prior to her professional career, her dedication to military service is incredible. I know this is lazy, but Wikipedia has it summarized best:
Duckworth joined the Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (Army ROTC) as a graduate student at George Washington University in 1990. She became a commissioned officer in the United States Army Reserve in 1992 and chose to fly helicopters because it was one of the few combat jobs open to women. As a member of the Army Reserve, she went to flight school and joined the Illinois Army National Guard in 1996.
Duckworth lost the lower part of both legs from injuries sustained on November 12, 2004, when the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter she was co-piloting was hit by a rocket propelled grenade fired by Iraqi insurgents. The explosion “almost completely destroyed her right arm, breaking it in three places and tearing tissue from the back side of it.” Duckworth received a Purple Heart on December 3 and was promoted to Major on December 21 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where she was presented with an Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal.
While serving her country, she was also working on her Ph.D. political science at Northern Illinois University with research interests in the political economy and public health in southeast Asia when she was deployed to Iraq in 2004..
And this honorable woman who has sacrificed so much for her country, and who has the tenacity to run for Congress again, has had her career impugned by this piece of crap (and I’m holding my tongue here), Joe Walsh, the same guy who owes $117,000 in back child support, which is now affecting his campaign.
“I have so much respect for what she did in the fact that she sacrificed her body for this country,” said Walsh, simultaneously lowering his voice as he leaned forward before pausing for dramatic effect. “Ehhh. Now let’s move on.” “What else has she done? Female, wounded veteran … ehhh,” he continued. “She is nothing more than a handpicked Washington bureaucrat. David Axelrod, Rahm Emanuel just picked her up and dropped her into this district.”
What in the everliving fuck of fucks!?
Who the fuck does this sleazy cretin think he is?
Which got me wondering, what has Joe Walsh done, besides teabag his way into Congress 18 months ago?
Again, I shamelessly turn it over to Wikipedia:
He attended Grinnell College then earned a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Iowa in 1985. In the mid 1980s, he embarked on an acting career, taking lessons in stage, theater and television at The Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York and Los Angeles. He later completed a Master of Public Policy at the University of Chicago‘s Harris School of Public Policy Studies in 1991.
Described as a “former social worker” by The New York Times, CNN, and Human Events Walsh worked with the Jobs for Youth program in the inner-city Chicago area, teaching high school dropouts basic academic and job skills. He later taught American government and American history at Oakton Community College and the Hebrew Theological College.
He ran the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Fund, a Chicago-based privately funded school voucher program which gives private high school scholarships to low-income students. He raised funds for two leading organizations advocating school choice; the American Education Reform Council, and the Milton and Rose Friedman Foundation.
He raised nearly $1 million over a five year period for the Fabretto Children’s Foundation, an international charity which uses education and micro-enterprise to deliver Nicaraguan children from poverty.
He also worked on state and local government policy issues for The Heartland Institute, a libertarian free-market think tank based in Chicago. Walsh helped launch fiscally conservative organizations such as the Legislative Education Action Drive and the Americans for Limited Government; organization that are dedicated to limiting government and electing fiscal conservatives to state legislatures. He also did consulting work with the United Republican Fund, an Illinois-state PAC helping to elect Republican state legislators.
He has also raised venture capital for a living, according to the Chicago Tribune with his campaign website indicating that he worked for Ravenswood Advisors, a Chicago boutique investment banking group which raised early-stage investment capital for new and small businesses. However, he never made much money and has pointed to salaries of $30,000 to $40,000 a year in the past. In 2010, he had a negative net worth of $317,498 according to the Center for Responsive Politics.
Walsh ran for US House in 1996 and the Illinois House in 1998, losing both times. And even though he was swept into Congress with Teabagapalooza 2010, he has managed to remain a loser.
Now, he has what could be described as a civic-minded CV, but bear in mind that he’s 50 and she’s 44, he’s bound to have a slightly longer list of accomplishments. Duckworth served in the military for 24 years and afterward she ran the Illinois Department of Veteran’s Affairs for 3 years, and that’s not enough to run for Congress?
What exactly is missing from her CV, Mr. Walsh? Not enough deadbeat debt?
And I’m a firm believer that you don’t have to “do” something to earn the right to run for office. There are tons of people out there who have accomplished an amazing number of things that I couldn’t even begin to understand who would be terrible Congresspersons.
You, for instance.
In your brief career as a “successful” Congressman, you have sponsored 11 bills, all of which failed (perhaps what Duckworth lacks in her resume is failure). In chronological order, those bills include:
- Two balanced budget amendments to the Constitution
- A bill to withhold contributions to the UN until it formally retracted the final report of the “United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict”
- The Palestinian Accountability Act — “To restrict funds for the Palestinian Authority, and for other purposes”
- A bill “supporting Israel’s right to annex Judea and Samaria in the event that the Palestinian Authority continues to press for unilateral recognition of Palestinian statehood at the United Nations”
- Capital Gains Inflation Relief Act of 2011 — “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for the indexing of certain assets for purposes of determining gain or loss”
- “To abolish the Office of Polar Programs of the National Science Foundation, and for other purposes”
- Dairy Pricing Deregulation Act — “To amend the Agricultural Adjustment Act to deregulate the Federal milk marketing order program, to publish competitive milk price survey data, and for other purposes”
- Save Christmas Act — “To repeal the proposed rule of the Agricultural Marketing Service relating to the establishment of a Christmas tree promotion, research, and information program and the assessment of fees to fund such program”
- Second Amendment Protection Act of 2011 — “To express the sense of the Congress that the United States should not adopt any treaty that poses a threat to national sovereignty or abridges any rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution, such as the right to keep and bear arms, and to withhold funding from the United Nations unless the President certifies that the United Nations has not taken action to restrict, attempt to restrict, or otherwise adversely infringe upon the rights of individuals in the United States to keep and bear arms, or abridge any of the other constitutionally protected rights of citizens of the United States.”
- Small Business Protection Act of 2012 — “To amend the Small Business Act with respect to small business concern size standards, and for other purposes.”
I find it interesting that Mr. What-Else-Has-She-Done has had a while to prove what kind of Congressman he is, and the fact is that he’s the kind of Congressman who failed to save Christmas.
I bet that if Tammy Duckworth wins this fall, she won’t stop until Christmas is saved from whatever monster or evil scientist has been threatening Santa. In fact, I know she would because she’s got the Purple Heart, Air Medal, and Army Commendation Medal to prove it.
What have you done, Joe?